Starting Blivit Design.

I am in the process of starting a new Home Electronics Help company.  The name of my Company is Blivit Design.  I’ve always liked the picture of the Blivit since the first time I saw it in “Mad Magazine”.  In “Mad”, they called it a “poiuyt” which is the top five letter keys on a keyboard on the right hand side.

I thought all that I had to do to start this company was go to Sparks City hall and apply for a business license.  When I went to their web site, I found out differently.  This looks pretty straight forward. Obtain a business license? But when you Download Business Application here. but when you click on the link, you get the bad news.  First, you have to get a Nevada State business license.  If you want it any sooner than 2 to 6 weeks, you have to pay extra.  I got it expedited, so I payed 75 dollars for the license and 125 dollars for the expedited service.  Carson City is only 30 miles from Reno (which is only about 10 miles from my house) so I drove to Carson City and applied for the license.  The next thing I had to do was “All applicants must contact the Nevada Department of Taxation to obtain a compliance document prior to applying for a license.” so I drove to the Dept. of Tax and applied for a compliance document.

I am in the computer repair business, so I had to get a sales tax paper too since although I think I am only a service based company, I will probably have to sell some hardware to my customers too.  This cost me 115 dollars (I had to put 100 dollars into some kind of escrow account against any future taxes I may owe.

Since I don’t have any employees, I don’t need any workman’s Comp insurance, but I do have to fill out the State of Nevada, Division of Industrial Relations form.  I was able to download that and I guess I’ll turn the form in to the City of Sparks.  Since my business is under a different name from my own name, I have to file for a Fictitious Firm Name filing for Washoe County . I tried to file for this first yesterday (Since I was already in Downtown Reno and right by the courthouse) but at that point I found out that I had to have already gotten my Nevada State business license.

Hopefully, this will only take one more day, and I’ll write another post about it.

About whatisblivit

I have been working with computers since the Commodore Vic20. I've been building PC's since about 1989. I received my Electrical Engineering degree in 1986. I have been building and maintaining my extended families computers since about 1996.
This entry was posted in Running a home business. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s